- Role: Senior Technology Consultant – Cisco
- Reference: NKY_0004
- Start Date: ASAP
- Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
- Security Clearance: SC
- Sector: Defence
- Salary: Competitive Market Package
- Location: Hybrid, 2-3 days at client site in Portsmouth, 2-3 days remote.
- Who Can Apply?: UK Nationals only.
To undertake a defined range of Network engineering design, development & test activities for the Type 26 programme in line with all relevant processes and quality requirements under the direction of the Network engineering team leader. The Senior Technology Consultant will resolve a range of network engineering issues and problems, compile technical reports and accompanying presentations, working independently with little technical direction and with a small team as required.
Duties & Responsibilities
You’ll be responsible for various stages of the network development. This will include: design, analysis, configuration, testing and fixing issues with the network infrastructure or application components. Your role will be to ensure that communications function across the network architecture and that the network’s performance meets the necessary requirements. You will also provide direction, information, and recommendations regarding network configurations and installations on Royal Navy platforms to support the various aspects of overall Combat System integration. Carry out investigations into operational problems or developments and develop and prepare solutions, individually or as a member of a project team. Develop network design specifications and carry out design activities in line with specifications and all quality and technical standards.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
We require a Technology Consultant with experience of the following:
- An understanding of how to configure and setup Cisco, Dell Switches and Fortinet Firewalls.
- Experience with configuring and installing client and server network software.
- Knowledge of Local Area Networking (LAN) and/or Wide Area Networking (WAN) technologies.
- An understanding of the technology behind a switched architecture and its workings (DNS, DHCP, Security, IP Switching/Routing, HTTP, VPN, etc.).
- Experience of designing network architecture for greenfield development.
- Experience of working with Switches, Routers, Hubs, Servers, Cables (Cat 5-6), Fibre Optics, Racks LAN, WAN, TCP/IP (Ethernet).
- Network Management & Monitoring Systems e.g., PRTG and Solarwinds.
- A good knowledge of all phases of the software lifecycle but with particular experience in Integration & Acceptance.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Production of HLD, LLD and Test plans and reports.
Knowledge & experience in one or more of the following:
- Design and integration of systems/networks within the Maritime defence environment.
- Design and integration of systems/networks within the Fixed or Deployed defence environments.
- Juniper Switches.
- Windows Server 2003 & 2008.
- Other operating systems including VMware ESXi. Server 4/5, Linux (SUSE /RedHat).
- Working knowledge of various VMware tools.
- Working knowledge of SAN Technologies.
- Cisco CCNA
- Cisco CCNP and/or CCDA
- Juniper JNCIA, JNCIS, JNCIP.